The Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL), and the American Institutes for Research® (AIR®) developed this toolkit to support state and district leaders who are interested in engaging in the work of integrating equity-focused social-emotional learning (SEL) into a multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS). Incorporating lessons learned from leading states, practical guidance, and adaptable templates, this toolkit addresses five key questions:
- What do we mean by SEL, MTSS, and equity?
- Why integrate SEL into MTSS?
- What does SEL integrated into MTSS look like?
- How can state and district leaders get started?
- Where do we go from here?